Check the skin you are in
Posted on Feb 01, 2019
Sun protection for the building and construction industry is essential given that the work is often outside. Cancer Council Australia recommends a Sun Protection Plan (see below) for all workplaces and Incolink has a comprehensive Skin Checks program of which employers can take advantage. In Australia, taking care of your skin is an essential part of a good health plan.
WHY PROTECT YOUR SKIN?
Each time your skin is damaged by UV, the skin cells become less able to repair which increases the risk of skin cancer. Skin cancer is a potentially life-threatening disease of the body's skin cells. The sun's ultraviolet (UV) radiation is the main cause of skin cancer.
Using sun protection during high UV times will reduce damage and cut your cancer risk – and it's never too late to start. No matter how old you are, using sun protection will cut your risk of skin cancer.
Ways to protect yourself
A combination of five sun protection behaviours should be used in the workplace.
- Slip on sun protective clothing
- Slop on SPF 30 or higher sunscreen. Apply sunscreen liberally to clean, dry skin at least 20 minutes before you go outside and reapply every two hours.
- Slap on a hat. A broad-brimmed, legionnaire or bucket-style hat provides good protection for the face, nose, neck and ears. Baseball caps and visors do not provide enough protection.
- Seek shade, especially in the middle of the day
- Slide on some sunglasses. Sunglasses should be worn outside during daylight hours. Choose closefitting wrap-around sunglasses that meet the Australian Standard AS 1067.
Other news you might like
Aug 12, 2022
The ADA wellbeing hub Incolink, along with ADA Australia with its research and lived experience focus, are providing a range of new resources for workers ...Read more
Jul 22, 2022
Construction Industry Snapshot - July 2022 As an industry we are facing a multitude of challenges including some difficult economic conditions expected thi...Read more
Jun 29, 2022
The Incolink Bluehats Suicide Prevention Program has been shortlisted in the National Men's Health Awards 2022 for Best Men’s Mental Health program. The p...Read more