Keeping Construction workers safe: 6,000 COVID-19 tests delivered over 100 sites
Posted on Jul 06, 2020
Construction workers across Victoria and Tasmania can be proud of their contribution to the massive COVID-19 testing operation with over 6,000 tests, on over 100 sites.
Incolink CEO Erik Locke said the initiative has been stepped up with a focus on hot spot suburbs in Melbourne. 972 tests across 14 clinics have been run in the last week.
“The health and safety of workers is paramount and that’s why we acted so quickly to roll out testing. We’re pleased asymptomatic workers are voluntarily agreeing to be tested, protecting themselves and their colleagues,” Mr Locke said
“This strong testing regime, with almost 1,000 tests conducted in just the last week, has added confidence in the industry allowing work to continue throughout the pandemic.
“Without the construction industry operating there would have been less income going to tens of thousands of households putting more pressure on Governments to support families. The industry can be proud that by standing together they have increased confidence in the operation of the construction sector.
“A shutdown of the construction industry would cost the State $25 billion and result in the loss of 166,000 jobs” Mr Locke said
Testing has been undertaken in partnership with Incolink's existing healthcare partner the Australian Prostate Centre (APC). Their team of GPs and nurses has supervised the nasal and mouth swabs approved by Victorian and Tasmanian State Governments.
Builders and workers can register to have Incolink visit their workplace at http://incolink.org.au/covid19-testing/
Other news you might like
Sep 16, 2021
The Victorian Government has today announced important changes to operations in the construction industry. In order to continue working, construction worke...Read more
Sep 02, 2021
As the safety net for construction, we've been working hard to deliver an on-site COVID-19 Vaccination program – making it easier for construction workers ...Read more