Congratulations to Construction from Victoria’s Assistant Treasurer
Posted on Aug 20, 2020
This morning Victoria’s Assistant Treasurer, The Hon Danny Pearson MP, spoke to Incolink employer members in the first of a new webinar series. He spoke candidly and honestly thanking the industry and promising to keep working for us.
While acknowledging the very real challenges to the economy and our industry due to restrictions he was full of praise for the way everyone has pulled together and committed to working to continue to support construction.
“Incolink plays an important role and the leadership shown has been great for members but had a positive impact for the Government and economy more broadly. We are keen to ensure you can do the good work you’re doing and that your members can continue to employ and deliver on the Government’s large pipeline of activity,” Mr Pearson said.
Minister Pearson said that he and the Government understands it has role to play and committed to a long term pipeline investment and he assured industry:
“We want to make sure that we’re working unilaterally, constructively and collaboratively when we’re crafting and implementing public policy”
He provided some very tough facts on the pandemic and how it’s impacted Victoria:
- A $10 billion impact just on Stage 4 lock down.
- 325,000 Job losses and an unployment rate of 11% expected by September
- On a budget of around $72 to $73 billion a projected surplus of $1 billion (this year) is expected to become a $75 billion deficit.
- 19,000 businesses have received $500 million in payroll tax refunds
- 50,000 land tax deferrals worth $76 million
And the good news of a $2.7 billion building works package leading to 3,700 direct jobs plus many in the supply chain
Mr Pearson is also Minister for Government Services and for Regulatory Reform
Minister Pearson specifically committed to:
- Speaking with the Premier’s office regarding the commitment to review the restrictions on construction at mid-point of Stage 4 restrictions.
- Ensuring there is no blockages to tenders (responding to a question indicating there’s been a slowdown)
- Continuing to work to ensure there is procurement for contractors large and small including seeking to work better with tier 2 and 3 contractors on large projects.
Other news you might like
Sep 16, 2021
The Victorian Government has today announced important changes to operations in the construction industry. In order to continue working, construction worke...Read more
Sep 02, 2021
As the safety net for construction, we've been working hard to deliver an on-site COVID-19 Vaccination program – making it easier for construction workers ...Read more